Negotiation is part of every business, as well as daily life, whether we realize it or not. From buying a car to buying an entire company. So it’s important to know how to negotiate.
We’ve put together a course on negotiation with attorney Joshua F. King. In addition to being an attorney, he also has a Master’s degree in Alternative Dispute Resolution, which includes Negotiation, Arbitration and Mediation. You may recognize Arbitration and Meditation because they’re becoming more and more the default positions in many contracts. In fact, go look at your last contract and there’s a pretty good chance it says something like “by signing this you agree to arbitration.”
The course includes 6 videos that cover many subjects to help you negotiate a better outcome.
In this video, he teaches:
- How to achieve your bargaining goals and avoid being exploited.
- The two different types of negotiation: Integrative or Distributive and when to use each one.
- What Monte Python can teach us about negotiating.
Some of the topics covered in the other videos include:
- How to know what to share and what to keep close to the vest.
- How to find out what the other party wants.
- Why it’s important to have a BATNA (and what a BATNA is, of course).
- How to not be exploited in a negotiation.
- How to get what you want in a negotiation and help other people get what they want.
- Learn why it’s vital to check your assumptions before you begin.
- How to respond to moves the other party.
- How negotiation is different than playing poker.
Want more startup training, resources and networking, including the other modules in this course? Click here to find out more about becoming a member.
Watch this module here. (It’s 8 minutes long.)